The Recovering Farmer

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Where Am I Going To Live When I Get Home

Yes, I know that is the title to a country song. And for the record, and I thought I had clarified this previously, I am NOT a country fan. However, many years ago I remember seeing a music video done by the same singer that brought fame and nausea with the song My Achy Breaky Heart. Yes, the line dancing song. He was singing about being kicked out of his house. Have no idea what the lyrics are but the first line of the song has stuck with me all these years. Must have left an impression. Go Figure.

Anyway, Monday I was trundling back to Brandon with the Uhaul truck. We had spent all weekend moving, unpacking, and just in general, trying to settle into our new home. Never in my wildest imagination would I have thought that two people could have as much “stuff” as we did. What a job. My kids informed me Saturday morning that they were never, ever helping us move again. Wait a minute. Half the stuff we have was bought because of the kids. And guess who keeps hanging out at our new digs every day? The kids. Not complaining, of course. It’s awesome. But they will have to help us move again. Even if it’s just into the old folks home.

Back to my trip to Brandon. I used to have aspirations of being a truck driver. Seemed to me that there was some mystique to that job. Perhaps the call of road. Perhaps I saw it as an escape. I can tell you that that desire has now left me. Spending a number of hours bouncing down the highway woke me up to reality. Bouncing is a complete understatement. More like riding a horse with a cab. Swaying, feeling every bump in the road, it was an adventure. Why Brandon? Seems to me that since we decided to move my workload in Brandon has increased. Go figure. Oh well, will keep me going back to my home stomping grounds. Notice the western twang to that statement. (not sure it’s the song or the thought of trucking that brought that on)

I keep getting side tracked. The trip back to Brandon finally gave me the chance to reflect on this major change in my life. Since my wife got the new job, life has been a whirlwind of activity. Selling, buying, moving. No time to think about what was really happening. I had some very strange feelings. Friday I left home to move to eastern Manitoba from western Manitoba. Two days later I left home in eastern Manitoba to go work in western Manitoba. Enough to make one dizzy. That is when the title of the song hit me. Where Am I going To Live When I Get Home. Where is home? Where is my life? What have we done? When will I feel like things are normal? Perhaps it’s like they say, normal is only a setting on a dryer.

So now I am back home. I think. For two nights and then we are taking a break. Going on a vacation. They say a change is as good as a rest. I am getting both. Look out when I get back. Should be ready to conquer the world. This trip was something that was planned before we ever had an inkling of what was about to happen to us. It will be good to sit back and relax for a while. Take a breather. Reassess. But the problem remains. Where am I going to live when I get home? Don’t get me wrong. This is exciting. Looking forward to our new challenges. But it may take awhile. So till next time, here’s to discovering and exploring our new life. Our new home. Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment