The Recovering Farmer

Friday, January 7, 2011

Modern Technology Part 2

Remember when I wrote a piece on farmers and modern technology? Well, I am revisiting this one. You see, as consumers we are constantly bombarded by new technology. Our kids gave us a new microwave for Christmas. Our old one was only 24 years old. So now I have to figure out all these new settings. It becomes a major event to simply warm up a cup of coffee. At my age it is difficult enough to remember how something works from one day to the next. Throw in something new and what can I say. Arrrgh.

So if a new microwave isn’t enough (kids, I am not complaining) the gods saw fit to blow up my computer. Well, okay, somewhat overstated. It crashed. It was only six years old, although anybody with computer knowledge will say it lasted longer than most laptops do. So here goes. A new laptop. Beautiful machine. It looks so shiny. It smells new. Looks good. Now I just have to learn how to use the darn thing. I open the cover. Wow. Now what. I switch it on and voila, the screen comes to life. Hey, this does not look right. What now. Help.

Thank goodness there are computer techies out there that can help. It only took 2 hours to set up my email accounts. Perfect. Now I can email. Catch up. It’s been two days. Wait a minute. Where is my address book. Oh %$*#%. It’s in the old lap top. Okay. It should be simple to transfer this right? Guess again. Going home. Will try again tomorrow.

Found out something interesting. Just like the New Year not being much different than the old year, a new day does not do much for computer knowledge. Spent the morning trying to figure this one out. I know. I am going to go hit some golf balls. One of my resolutions was to spend time at Brandon’s indoor golf center. It’s fun. I can forget about life’s worries for just awhile. Unfortunately I need to get back to work. I have to figure out how to use this technology. I know that somewhere along the line I will enjoy this new computer. I hope that day comes sooner rather than later.

So there it is. Technology is part of the here and now. Without it we would be lost. Can’t live with it, can’t live without it. I will learn. Might take a while. Hey, it’s the weekend. Maybe I will go hit some more balls. Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow? That reminds me. I need to do a radio interview. Perfect. I get to talk. So much easier than working with the computer. Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment