The Recovering Farmer

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Remember When. . .

For some strange reason I have the lyrics of the song “Remember When” going through my mind this week. Not sure why. Keep in mind that it is a country song sung by Alan Jackson. And quite frankly, I don’t really care for country music although I keep being told that country music is changing from what it used to be. Remember when country music consisted of nasal voices singing about. . . , I don’t want to go there because I will get depressed. Remember when there was uproar about Rock and Roll music and what happened if you played the record backwards? Yeah, I know, some of you don’t know what a record is. In fact, most of you cannot even relate to 8 tracks. As teenagers we were told that if you played rock and roll music backwards there were all kinds of messages from Satan, messages about demons, in plain language, it was bad news. You know what happens if you play country music backwards? Your wife returns to you, your dog comes back to life and you get out of prison. Haha. I love it.

I think a lot of my trip down nostalgia lane is because of the announcement this week that the Winnipeg Jets are coming back. Great news for a lot of people. It will be great for Manitoba. It will provide a significant boost to our economy. It will provide great entertainment to those that can actually afford going to games. Again I am aging myself but I remember when Bobby Hull was signed by Winnipeg. He soon became known as the Golden Jet. Rumour has it he had a hair transplant done. Not sure if that actually happened or whether that is just a story going around at the time. Remember when the Jets used to play against Edmonton in the playoffs. It was awesome hockey. A lot of hockey fans felt that if we could just get by the Oilers the Stanley Cup would come to Winnipeg. There was quite a rivalry between those teams. A lot has changed. I also remember in the mid-nineties when there was a real push on to save the Jets. People were being asked to provide financial backing. Being part of an agricultural commodity group, I recall the organization being asked for significant money to save the Jets. The irony was that farmers were being asked to save a hockey team that was paying their players millions of dollars a year, money that farmers could only dream about. Let’s hope they can survive on their own this time around.

Back to the song. I printed off the lyrics and the song has some beautiful words. Particularly the last part. Let me quote them for you.

Remember when thirty seemed so old
Now lookn' back it's just a steppin' stone
To where we are,
Where we've been
Said we'd do it all again
Remember when
Remember when we said when we turned gray
When the children grow up and move away
We won't be sad, we'll be glad
For all the life we've had
And we'll remember when

So I suppose that means enough of any regrets. Look at the positives. And there were many. So, remember when and. . .Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment