The Recovering Farmer

Monday, July 4, 2011

Wawanesa, God’s Country

I often brag to people that I live in the most beautiful area of Manitoba. Often refer to it as God’s country. I refer to the valleys and hills that are common place in this area of western Manitoba. There are creeks and rivers. Sand hills and ravines. The town of Wawanesa is situated in a valley, seldom seen or noticed by anyone passing by on the highway. It is located in the Souris Valley. It sits within a horseshoe of the Souris River. It even has a dam. Usually life in this small town is quiet and relaxed. Aside from the fact that this is where the Wawanesa Mutual Insurance was founded, the town is somewhat typical of many rural towns. It used to be that everybody knew everybody.

Even today, as you drive into the town, nothing seems too unusual. Main street is quiet. The usual crowd at the coffee shop. Someone is mowing their grass. Seems like a normal summer day. However, drive to the western most part of the village and a whole new picture emerges. It appears to be a war zone. Work is being done at a feverish pitch, trying to protect the town from a major disaster. Flood waters are coming. A river that has been flowing at unprecedented levels is forecast to rise more in the days to come. The school, the health care facility and numerous homes are at risk. No costs are spared. Looking skyward you notice a helicopter. It is dropping rocks around the dam to try and ensure the dam is not compromised. So, while most of the town appears serene, away from the public eye, rages a battle.

Reminds me of myself. On the outside all is well. It is summer time. Golf season. Weather, all though a rough start, has turned to normal summer like conditions. What more could I ask for. Well, just like the flood fight in Wawanesa, there rages a battle inside of me. Confusion reigns. Hopelessness is setting in. A total lack of direction. Not sure what steps to take to rectify the situation. Find a way out. Do I give up? Throw in the cards? Concede? Seek professional help? Therapy? I thought I figured it out. I worked on it during the winter. I was confident.

What, you ask, is the problem? My golf game. Every time I think I have it figured out something goes wrong. At times I am hopeful and in the next moment hopeless. But I need to keep fighting. I need to keep working on it. It is so enjoyable when the game plan comes together. It did come together for a fleeting moment last week. Beat a certain left hander out there. Need to do that again. The way I golfed this weekend will not cut it. I think the mental part of the game is lacking. That is the next thing I will work on. Hmmm. How do I do that? Not sure. Will figure it out. Gain some confidence. And, I suppose, practice. Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment