The Recovering Farmer

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

See You Next Year

A lot of people take time between Christmas and New Years to think back to the year that was. So I will do the same. Or maybe not. See where this goes.

I suppose I could write about the roller coaster ride I have had. My daughter got married, my mother died, my son and daughter-in-law gave birth to a baby girl, we had Christmas, blah, blah, blah, blah. I could write about new opportunities but they are best left unsaid till I find out whether they actually are new opportunities. I could write about new found relationships over the Christmas season but really need to find out whether they are. I could reflect on a golf season that was, and it was.

Then when I actually think about it I wonder why. Why am I thinking of the past year? Just recently I was involved in a situation where I challenged the participants to look forward. I used the analogy of a car mirror. I went on to suggest that if we would view our world through the windshield rather than the rear view mirror we should be happier. With emphasis on we should be. Does not always happen that way.

Work with me. The rear view mirror on a car is small. 4 inches by 6 inches. (in metrics that is about the size of your hand.) We keep looking at it. See what is behind us. To the point where we miss what is current and what is ahead. If we remain fixated on the rear view mirror we may have a mishap. Actually, probably, almost guaranteed, we will have a mishap.

So that leaves us with this gigantic windshield in front of us. Enjoy the view. There are so many positives out there that we should be on the lookout for. Wait a minute. Literally and figuratively my windshield has some cracks. I have been told often enough that I should get it replaced. I always wonder why because as sure as night follows day as soon as I do that I will get another stone chip.

Perhaps that best describes my life. Resistant to change because it will all end up the same. Knowing full well what it takes to make things better but not doing it. Then again it is the end of the year. You think a fresh start will help?

Last night, as I lay awake for countless hours, I began to formulate a plan. When it is time to sleep I am wide awake. When I should be wide awake I feel like sleeping. When I should feel anxious I don’t. When I have no reason to be anxious I am. When I should eat I don’t feel hungry. When I am trying to sleep I feel hungry. I need a lobotomy. My brain is out of whack, to say the least.

Then it hit me. Just like my windshield, I need to make some changes. Out with the old. In with the new. Get rid of the cracks and the stone chips. Get something I can actually see through. Sure, I will get new stone chips, particularly on that gravel road between here and Oak Bluff where people have no concept of what it means to drive responsibly. . . . Oops. Sorry. Got carried away there. And as sure as I will get stone chips on my windshield life will throw some challenges at me. But I can do this. I need to quit looking in the rear view mirror. Tomorrow is a new beginning. I want to take advantage of that. I know what works. Been there before. Now to implement it. Take care and see you next year. Happy New Year. Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment