The Recovering Farmer

Saturday, December 31, 2016

That’s All Folks

That sounds rather final. And it is, at least for this year. Another year has come and gone. It seems like this one went by even quicker than the last which went quicker than the year before that. Perhaps it is an age thing. Although when I think back to the outset of 2016 it feels like that is a lifetime ago. Here we are ensconced by another winter. At the end of November it appeared like the winter might be gentle. But alas, two snowfalls later we have significant snow accumulations and it appears there is more to come.

I have seen numerous mentions lately that 2016 was a horrible year. This seems a little puzzling. Why do people feel that way? Listening to the radio this morning shed some light on that. It appears that there were a significant number of well known, dare I say celebrities, that died. Interesting point. But not one that I had considered nor one that I am about to get hung up on.

What is it about famous people’s death that intrigues some? What about people that don’t have celebrity status? When I look around at family and friends that are struggling with health, passing of a loved one, dealing with loss of job, or numerous other issues I find it difficult to grieve because another celebrity died. Don’t get me wrong. It is said when anyone dies. But not anymore sad or tragic than when someone close is struggling or dying.

Sorry for the little rant. So New Years is upon us. The time when many become obsessed with making resolutions. I have said before and will say it again. I have tried and failed. I have given up. Very simply put when I wake up on January 1 life remains virtually the same. It is still winter. It is cold. We have just been through a snow storm with threats of another one on its way. The days are short. Why in the world would I want to quit anything that is helping me cope?

Here is a novel idea. We should change New Years from January 1 to July 1. Me thinks it would be so much easier to carry through with any resolution if it we did during summer rather than the dead of winter. Think about it. Eating less, drinking less, quitting smoking, quitting nicotine gum, getting in shape, all of these would be so much easier in the summer. In fact should I be prime minister that would be a policy or legislative change I would make. I bet you would all vote for me. Right?

Okay. I can only wish. So as we move into the new year I do need to make some changes. However, I refuse to call these resolutions. Rather I need to make some lifestyle changes. These are lifestyle changes I need to make so I am ready for summer when it gets here. Am I contradicting myself? Perhaps. So be it.

The good news is we get an extra second of sleep tonight. You see, the world clock has to be adjusted. Seems the earth rotation on its axis is slowing down. It has slowed down 26 seconds since 1972. Quite fascinating. What about before 1972. Nobody knows because nobody was keeping track. So there you have it. Enjoy that extra sleep. Happy New Years. Make it a good one.

“The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem.” Theodore I. Rubin

No comments:

Post a Comment