The Recovering Farmer

Sunday, December 19, 2021

Peace on Earth? Maybe

 I suspect that as we approach this holiday season, emotions are scattered all over. For some that is quite natural this time of year. Its dark, its cold, its lonely. For others who find enthusiasm for the upcoming festivities, the emotions are marred by the ongoing pandemic. Not only the continuous pressures of public health orders, the unknown of when this might end but also the divisiveness this has created. Everyone has an opinion and there are those who feel the constant need to voice their opinion regardless of how others feel about it.

So many, at least those who still care, wonder what conversations will be like when friends and family get together. That creates a whole new layer of angst. After all, what purpose is there in getting together to celebrate peace on earth when all that will be created is anything but.

(Mediation Services has launched a webinar on how to have conversations when people are so polarized by a difference of opinion. Not to support one side or the other, but rather how to maintain relationships in spite of the significant differences in opinions. Here is a link if you should be interested. Clicking on this link will give you a brief synopsis of the content. https://www.webinars.mediationserviceswpg.ca/Covid-Conversations-A-Roadmap-To-Existing-Together-With-Opposing-Views )

Lest you all are thinking I have it figured out, I do not. I find that the deeper we get into this pandemic, the closer we get to Christmas, and the more stuff I see on social media, the more I find myself being triggered. It makes me want to lash out. (I used the word “stuff” because the words I am really thinking are not appropriate) Yesterday I suggested to my son I needed to watch the Mediation Services webinar mentioned above. He suggested I might be a lost cause. He’s probably right.

As I spent time reflecting on that, I quickly came to the understanding that life at this point is not easy. Aside from the normal stressors in life, aside from never having enjoyed this time of year, we have the added debacle called a pandemic wreaking havoc with our relationships.

Clearly it will take a concerted effort to make the best of a bad situation. The good news is we have it in us to do just that. I like to post the following poem on Christmas day but felt it might be appropriate to post it a few days early so all of us, but particularly me, can read it and reflect on it in preparation of making this time of family, just that. Make it a good one.

Put your problems on probation
Run your troubles off the track,
Throw your worries out the window
Get the monkeys off your back.
Silence all your inner critics
With your conscience make amends,
And allow yourself some happiness
It's Christmas time again!

Call a truce with those who bother you
Let all the fighting cease,
Give your differences a breather
And declare a time of peace,
Don't let angry feelings taint
The precious time you have to spend,
And allow yourself some happiness
It's Christmas time again!

Like some cool refreshing water
Or a gentle summer breeze,
Like a fresh bouquet of flowers
Or the smell of autumn leaves,
It's a banquet for the spirit
Filled with family, food and friends,
So allow yourself some happiness
It's Christmas time again!
                                Bob Lazzar-Atwood

No comments:

Post a Comment