The Recovering Farmer

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Something to Carry Me Through

I sit here on a reasonably nice day towards the end of October. I have the opportunity to reflect on what has been and what may be. As we know the Farmer’s Almanac is calling for a brutal winter. I need something to help me through that. Normally I think, dare I say dream, of golf. It has provided me with my happy place. Not so much this year. The last round I played over a week ago was probably the worst round I have played in a long time. That does happen but does not leave lasting memories. Not something I can go to for my happy place.

So how do I rectify that? It would seem that a round or two this week might help that. So I snuck away this morning by myself. As I finished one golf course employee asked how it had been. Good walk or good score. I gave him a thumbs up. It was a good walk. Score not bad either.

The positive? I ended with the same ball I started with. That is really positive. For a few reasons. Number one is that I have a difficulty seeing balls in flight. So if I don’t see it and it goes off course, no pun intended, I am lost. Don’t know where to begin looking. Secondly, with all the leaves on the ground, it can be difficult finding a ball even if you are in the fairway. So the end result made me quite happy.

I didn’t break any records with my score but it went okay. I could provide some excuses, such as the greens have been aerated, but won’t. I have something to carry me through the winter. The problem now is will I try this again. The course is closing this next weekend. I don’t have any work lined up for tomorrow. The forecast sounds awesome. I probably should. I probably will. My song may change. We will wait and see.

So I did not go the next day. I chose not to because of the windy conditions. Thought that was only opening the door for a challenging round which would erase the pleasant memories from earlier in the week. Don’t want to jeopardize that. That first round has already helped in settling my thoughts and anxiety during my awake time at night.

The forecast does look reasonable for the end of the week and weekend. That may provide an opportunity to put another good game, at least a good walk, into the memory bank. I know most of you are thinking that that leaves me with slim pickings for the long winter we seem destined for. Similar to a bank account. It only lasts so and so long without continued deposits.

Thinking about it that way me thinks I may need to find other positives to deposit in my memory bank. And, quite frankly, that is easy to do when you make the effort to. Rather than dwell on negatives I need to focus on positives. I read earlier this week that one should write down five things you are thankful for before you go to bed each day. I know that would help. I need to try that. And now that golf season is over I also need to focus on daily exercise. I know that can work as well. Perhaps that can wait to see whether there is another golf game possible. I think that is a good excuse.

At a meeting on Thursday one participant mentioned that it was a mere 2 months and 2 days till Christmas. Not sure that anyone else in the room really wanted to think about that. Not sure that the person that said it really was looking at that as a positive. It rather appeared that all of us were trying to figure out how we would make it through. I keep going back to my last golf game. I look at the positives in my life. I seek out things I can be thankful for. I will survive. I think. Make it a good one.











No comments:

Post a Comment