The Recovering Farmer

Friday, April 1, 2011

Won’t Get Fooled Again

All week as I thought of the fact that Friday was April 1, or April Fool’s day, I had it in my mind that I was not going to fall for any tricks. Kept thinking of the song, “Won’t Get Fooled Again”. Remember, the one by The Who? A song that became a hit back in the seventies. Love the song. Good beat. Good rhythm. Whether the lyrics make sense or not has never been an issue for me. Although when I read them now they do make some sense, particularly for the era they were written in. Ages me, doesn’t it. I have the song on a CD and often times when I need to de-stress I will listen to the song with the volume cranked. Actually the song helps whether I am really upset, euphoric or just content with life.

So at 5:30 this morning, as I was enjoying my first cup of coffee, I switched the TV on just in time to hear Jeff, on Canada AM, report on new technology that would allow people to send emails without the need of a keyboard or monitor. All you needed was a web cam. Even showed a video clip of how this would work. I marvelled at how technology was progressing. And then I heard him say that this report was being done in the context of today’s date. &%$$**%, I did get fooled again.
On the flip side, I played a trick on my colleagues at Manitoba Farm and Rural Support Services. I could not wait for Friday so I did this on Wednesday. Two days early, but who is really counting. It was the day that I was facilitating a workshop on farm financial stress. I phoned my boss and told her that I was not feeling well. She asked whether I wanted to cancel the workshop to which I responded with the sound of vomiting. I hung up the phone, waited a few minutes and then walked through the office door with a cheerful good morning. One of them suggested that I needed a swift kick in the butt. Love it. Mission accomplished.

Speaking of being fooled again, what`s up with needing an election. One week in and I am already sick of the rhetoric I am seeing and hearing. It boggles my mind when I see the sheer disrespect that is being shown by politicians to each other and to the public. All I keep hearing is “contempt” and “coalition”. I always thought that contempt was part of a politician`s job description. And, correct me if I am wrong, but is the Conservative party not a coalition of the Progressive Conservatives and the Reform Party? There, now that I have explained that, can we please start talking about "real" issues? But, then again, as the song goes, `new boss same as the old boss`.

I would be remiss not to mention the weather. So I wrote about March coming in like a lion. I will concede that March left like a lamb but will argue it was somewhat of a grumpy lamb. I was always told that the creeks and rivers around our place flow by the 25th of March. Not so this year. The ground hog was wrong, the creeks are not flowing. I won`t get fooled again. Now I am waiting to see whether the next `myth` will hold true. Apparently it rains 100 days after a fog. Well, we had lots of fog. If this one disappoints me too, I don`t know what I can count on for future weather predictions.

There you have it. My two cents worth for April 1, 2011. The sun is shining. Temperatures are feeling reasonable (you know that last year, during this week, temperatures were in the upper teens, on the plus side). Need the snow to melt. Looking forward to getting out on the links (golf course). I will survive. And, I am sure, I will get fooled again. Make it a good one.

1 comment:

  1. Michael Ignatieff, Stephen Harper and Jack Layton were all flying on a private jet. Stephen Harper gets an idea and says, "I'm going to throw this $100 bill out the window and make one Canadian very happy." Ignatieff, not wanting to be outdone says, "I am going to throw these two $50 bills out the window and make two Canadians very happy." Jack Layton decides to go with the flow and says, "I am going to throw out $100 worth of loonies and make 100 Canadians happy." At this point the pilot comes through the door and says, "If you three don't shut the hell up right now I am going to throw all three of you out the window and make 33 million Canadians really, really happy."

    I got a chuckle from this joke....I’m guessing they all pocketed the money in the end anyways.

    Tony

    ps - if the temperatures were at all like they were last year, chances are there would be a worse flood causing many more people more stress. Some see the glass is half empty; some see the glass as half full. I really like these other views where people see the cup is too big or perhaps most interesting say they really enjoyed drinking that first half. Regardless of this, in a few weeks we will all be trying to use that cup to bail out the flood water......so drink up while you can.

    ReplyDelete