The Recovering Farmer

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Why Write a Blog

It’s a project that started in June, 2010. Not sure why. Started on a challenge. When the Recovering Farmer website was developed my computer guy asked me how often I was going to post. He suggested that I ensure that the posts would be regular. Otherwise I would lose my audience. He was thinking once a month. I was thinking once a week. There were topics coming to mind that I knew I would have inspiration to come for quite some time. I never realized that two years later I would still be at it. There have been times when I just simply could not think of things to write about. Many of those times I found a lack of inspiration for almost anything. Work was tough. Keeping up with relationships was difficult. Life, in general, was a drag. Very often I would wait till Friday and then quickly write down some thoughts. Often I felt they were disjointed. Never very confident in my writing.

Someone asked me lately why I did it. I explained that it had started out as a challenge. In fact, if memory serves me right, the same person asking the question was the one that threw out the challenge. I would like to thank her for that. (you know who you are J) It has been something that has brought back some semblance of sanity to my life. It has given me reason to sit back and think about things that have happened in any given week. It has made me take note of special moments. I have also noted moments that were not particularly uplifting. It has given me reason to pause. It has provided a break. That special time when I put pen to paper. I always feel better after having written out my thoughts. It helps me overcome. It helps me practice what I preach. Some people journal. I write a blog. Perhaps that is why I sometimes feel that they only make sense to me.

Through the years I have also had many people tell me that they read my ramblings. There have been a few that submitted comments. So often when I have felt that perhaps it’s is time to call it a day, I hear from someone that is being helped by the blog. That encourages me. It is like I have always said. We help each other. Occasionally someone will suggest they have had a chuckle over some of my thoughts. It is good to laugh. Others have related to some of my experiences as they have similar ones on this journey we call life. Experiences. That is what it’s about. I heard someone say that “experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want’. I like that. Although it makes me wonder whether I ever got what I wanted. I seem to have a lot of experience. Perhaps that is a good thing. Read another quote that suggested “life is the crap that happens while we wait for the moment that never happens”. I think I prefer the first one.

I recall vividly the day I wrote the first one. So much has changed in my life since then. Sometimes when I retrace my steps. When I read what I wrote last week, last month or last year I can’t help but smile. Sometimes I feel that the blogs are a cry for help. Whether it’s for life. Whether it’s for my work. Or whether it’s for my golf game. Other times I notice that my life seemed to be in balance. And perhaps, that is what it is all about. Noticing a change. A positive change. And that is what will keep me going. At least one more week. Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment