The Recovering Farmer

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The End of the World. . . Not

So, contrary to some peoples’ thoughts and predictions, the world did not end Saturday. If you don’t know what I am talking about, good for you. For the rest of us we have seen it on news, read about it in the papers and even seen billboards with the same message. The world was to end on May 21, 2011. I have no clue how this particular date was arrived at. What I do know is that it has happened before. This same person predicted the same thing back in 1994. Apparently he realized after the fact that he had made a mathematical error. Now he admits he made another mistake. No kidding. But, he claims, he is only five months out. Wait for it. New date? October 21.

Many people have made mockery of this whole debacle. Given rise to many a joke. From stories of maxing out credit cards to questioning whether to notify your boss that you won’t make it in for work. What I don’t get is, people who actually gave away their personal belongings. Does anyone else see the irony here? So if I believe that the world is ending on a certain day I know I won’t need my earthly possessions anymore. That is clear. But who do I give it to? If the world ends nobody else can use it, right? But wait a minute. Based on one article some people are going to be left behind. So we donate our stuff to them? But now one needs to decide who will stay behind. Seems to me, if I took this seriously, I would . . . . . I am leaving it there.

So here it is the beginning of the work week. Seems nothing has changed. I am still here. Means I need to go to work. However, in many areas of the world people are waking up to a different world. Worlds that have changed. For many in Missouri it feels like the world did end. The devastation from a tornado is incredible. From tornadoes in the south, to fires in the west, to flooding in the east and, of course, the continuing flood situation here at home. The rain this weekend has, again, added stress to an already late sowing season. And yet people find ways to carry on. We are resilient. We will survive. “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference”.

And for those of you that feel the need to get rid of personal possessions before October 21, I may be able to help. Let me know.

Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment