The Recovering Farmer

Saturday, April 5, 2014

What Would I Say?

Not sure what to use as a title for what I am about to talk about. Not even sure what I will say. However I saw a post on Facebook today that has me thinking. A friend of mine, okay, in reality a relative, someone I spent hours with growing up but since have lost touch with, posted an interesting question.

It was actually a picture with a question. And as is often the case words will not do justice to the picture. Let me try. The picture is of a bench perched on a hill overlooking a beach. A beach with small waves coming in. Perhaps it’s the tide. Perhaps it is the relentless surge of ocean waters. Ever wonder what stories waves would have if they could talk? If they could tell us where they have been? What they have seen? Similar to the stories each one of us could tell if we took the time to think back. Stories of happy times. Stories of sad times. Stories, nonetheless.

The question with the picture asked this. “If you could sit on this bench and chat for one hour with anyone from the past or present who would it be. . . ? That got me thinking. Perhaps because I sense the pain that this friend is feeling from having lost someone near and dear to them. Perhaps it is because it reminds me of people who have had a significant impact on my life.

The first person I thought of when I saw the picture was my uncle. Remember a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned chatting with an uncle? The one that expressed a desire to be able to work? As fate may have it he passed away this week. As much as he had had health challenges the passing was rather unexpected. It got me thinking.

The same day that I saw the posted picture I mentioned I also saw another friend, and again a relative, and, yes, I have a number of them, wishing a happy birthday to a father that passed on a few years ago. She was fondly remembering the direction and guidance he had provided.

All of this got me thinking about my father. Not sure an hour would be enough to talk about all I would like to chat about with him. And somehow I suspect he might have a few questions, or comments, of his own. I suspect he would wonder how I got to where I am from where I was. He would be curious about my life. My kids’ life. Even my grandson. He would try to connect the dots.

His passing was much too early in life. There is so much more that we could have shared. There is so much more that he could have offered me as I meander through this mine field called life. There are times when I wish I could seek advice from someone that has walked the walk. Unfortunately that is not the case with my father. All I can do is try to learn from the tid bits of his life I can remember.

But from all of this I can also learn to cherish the moments in life I have. It is so easy to look around and wish for something else. Something better. I need to credit a friend of mine who, this week after I had commiserated about an issue, challenged me that I have so many things to be thankful for. And he is right. I do. The challenge is to focus on the positives. May not always include what I would want but positives nonetheless. And most of all cherish life and the people around us. That may change and may change unexpectedly. Make it a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment